Like the kin, your lips also need exfoliation. It prevents chapping and helps your lip stick, lip gloss and lip liner look smooth on your lips and stay longer. Moreover, regular use of lip scrubs keeps your lips soft by removing the buildup of dead skin cells.
Thus, you can prepare natural lip scrub recipes at home. Sugar and salt are the most common ingredients used for exfoliation.
However, as we are dealing with a sensitive area here, that is, lips, it is better to stick to sugar as salt may cause irritation. It is suggested to exfoliate your lips about two to three times in a week.
Homemade Lip Scrubs
- • Gently rubbing a thick paste of white sugar and honey on your lips with your fingertips in circular motion is perhaps the simplest yet effective (and delicious, too!) way to exfoliate your lips.
You may also add olive oil in case your lips tend to be dry and a drop of peppermint essential oil or a flavor extract like that of vanilla, strawberry, or raspberry. Apply a lip balm after rinsing off the paste from your lips.
- • Another easy way to exfoliate your lips is to massage your lips for a few minutes with a warm washcloth or hand towel wrapped on your fingertip. You can soak the washcloth in hot water and wring it before using to make it warm and moist.
- • Applying extra-virgin olive oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, vitamin E oil, or jojoba oil on your lips and then scrubbing with a warm washcloth is highly beneficial for your lips. You may also use cocoa butter or shea butter in your lip scrub recipes.
Here’s a video showing how to prepare and apply a homemade lip scrub with sugar, honey, and olive oil.
- • Add sugar granules in a petroleum jelly or a lip balm and use it as a lip scrub. Alternatively, you may rub a combination of coarse sugar and glycerin for a couple of minutes, wash it off and then apply olive oil on your lovely lips. You may mix rose water as well.
- • Prepare a natural lip scrub by mixing a quarter teaspoon of brown sugar in half a tablespoon of olive oil. You may add two to three drops of an essential oil, too. Wash your lips with warm water before applying this paste. After exfoliating, rinse with cold water and apply a lip balm.
- • Take a teaspoon of baking soda and add some organic honey in it, sufficient enough to form a paste. If you are out of honey, just add water. Use this paste as a lip scrub.
- • Another homemade recipe for lip scrub involves using a mixture of one tablespoon of sugar granules, one teaspoon of baking soda, and one or two drops of an essential oil of your choice. Rinse off the paste after massaging on lips and finally apply olive oil.
While scrubbing and exfoliating your sensitive lips make sure you do not rub vigorously or for a long time as it may cause a burning sensation or even bleed, especially if your lips are dry.
Besides, in case you are not sure as to how to scrub with your fingers, you may simply apply the recipe on your lips and rub them together.
Leave a Reply