As the name suggests, hair styling gels and sprays help to change the shape and texture of your hair for styling your hair or to hold to in place. It is hard to believe that you can create these products at your home itself, nonetheless, it is possible.
Moreover, homemade hair styling sprays are made of ingredients like sugar, eggs, flax seeds, and other similar articles that are easily available.
Another advantage of using natural hairstyling products is that unlike commercial products, they safe to use as they do not contain harmful chemicals. Plus, they are affordable and inexpensive.
Homemade Hair Sprays and Gels
- • Dissolve a box of plain, unflavored gelatin in a cup of water by adding small amounts of gelatin and stirring and use the resultant thick solution as a hair styling gel. You may also add a teaspoon of aloe vera gel and three to four drops of an essential oil in it.
- • Put a tablespoon of sugar in a cup of hot water and stir so that it dissolves completely. Next, mix a tablespoon of vodka and two to three drops of an essential oil in it for a pleasant smell (these oils stimulate hair growth, too) and use it as a hair spray. It works best on slightly damp hair. After applying this recipe, do not brush your hair until it dries.
- • Lemon is another common ingredient used in hair care recipes. To make a hair spray, chop one or two lemons into small pieces and boil them in a cup of water until the quantity of water reduces to half. Strain the liquid and store it in a spray bottle. Those who have dry hair can replace lemon with orange.
- • Take two eggs, separate the whites and discard the yolks. Whisk these egg whites thoroughly, apply as a natural hair mousse, and style your hair.
If you are bothered about the smell then add a few drops of a fragrant essential oil, such as lavender or rosemary oil in it.
- • You can prepare another homemade hair gel to set you hair with the help of flax seeds. For this, you need to boil a tablespoon of flax seeds in three-fourth cup of water for about 8–10 minutes until the solution achieves a gel-like consistency.
Finally, strain the seeds through a sieve, put the bristles of a comb in the resultant slimy hair setting lotion and use it on your hair before setting or styling. You can also include a tablespoon of sweet almond oil and a few drops of lavender essential oil in the mixture.
Here’s a video showing how to make a hair styling gel with flax seeds.
- • Flyaway hair during winter months can be managed by applying a rosemary hair spray prepared by steeping two teaspoons of dried rosemary in a cup of boiling water for some hours. Rosemary darkens your hair, too.
Another home remedy to reduce fly-aways and static cling is to pour a little vitamin E oil ( do not use too much as it will look greasy) in your palm, rub your hands together, and run your palms and fingers through your hair
- • Agar agar, a gelatin derived from seaweed, can be used along with aloe vera gel to prepare a homemade hair gel. For this, you need to simmer agar agar flakes in water until it dissolves completely.
Finally, mix a quarter cup of aloe vera gel in half a cup of the agar agar mixture. You may add about ten drops of an aromatic essential oil as well.
- • Simply applying aloe vera gel is also helpful in styling your hair.
While preparing and using these homemade hair styling recipes, keep in mind that they tend to last for about a week only. Plus, you will have to store these products in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply