Homemade alcohol-free aftershave balms and lotions for men can be prepared from a variety of ingredients like witch hazel, aloe vera gel, coconut oil, vegetable glycerin, vodka, distilled water, etc. These inexpensive solutions can be made for dry, oily as well as combination skin.
Aftershaves are mostly used to soften the skin and avoid infections due to cuts caused during shaving. Moreover, as the facial skin is sensitive, a suitable aftershave lotion can help soothe skin irritation and razor burns.
Recipes for Homemade Aftershave Lotions
- • One of the simplest natural skin care recipes for aftershave involves using a mixture of equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water as an aftershave for sensitive skin.
- • Take half a cup of distilled water, a quarter cup of witch hazel, and a tablespoon of olive oil. Mix these ingredients. You may also add a few drops or lavender, rosemary, juniper, bergamot, clove, eucalyptus or any other essential oil in this aftershave.
Those who have dry skin can add half a cup of glycerin, and two ounces each of aloe vera and rose water in this recipe. In case you have a greasy skin then you can mix two tablespoons of vodka and two to three drops of Benzoin tincture in it.
- • Mix a quarter cup each of witch hazel, distilled water, apple cider vinegar and add a tablespoon of sweet almond oil in it. You can put half a cup of dried herbs or essential oils as well. Apply this solution on your skin after shaving to soothe irritated skin and avoid dryness.
- • Combine three tablespoons of vodka, 16 drops of cedar wood essential oil, 12 drops of cypress essential oil, and two drops of neroli (orange blossom) essential oil. Leave this solution aside for about one hour. Next, add a tablespoon of vitamin E cream, 12 tablespoons of rose water and 8 tablespoons of witch hazel in the recipe. Keep it in the refrigerator for a day and then use.
- • Make a softening after shave by four drops of Roman chamomile EO, four drops of lavender EO, two drops of tea tree oil and two drops of grapefruit oil in an ounce of avocado oil.
- • To prepare an aftershave balm, take a glass bottle and pour a tablespoon of vodka, eight drops of cedarwood EO, six drops of cypress EO, and three drops of juniper EO in it. Mix these ingredients thoroughly. Finally, add four tablespoons of witch hazel and six tablespoons of orange flower water.
- • You may also consider including spices like cloves, cinnamon sticks, allspice (Pimenta dioica), juniper berries, orange zest, and bay leaves to prepare an aftershave/cologne by adding all these ingredients in four ounces of vodka and two tablespoons of Jamaican rum. You can add half a teaspoon each of aloe vera gel and glycerin as well.
Here’s a video demonstrating the process of making Bay Rum Aftershave.
- • Another homemade aftershave can be created using a combination of ten drops chamomile oil, ten drops calendula oil, five drops peppermint oil, a quarter cup coconut milk, and one cup coconut water. You can store it in a spray bottle.
It is suggested that you put your homemade aftershave in a clean and sterilized plastic or glass bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
Here’s another simple advice: whether you use an aftershave or not, make sure you splash some cold water on your face after you have finished shaving in order to close the pores.