There are a number of natural ingredients that can help enhance the color of your hair. Henna is perhaps the most common ingredient in this regard as apart from coating the hair shaft, it also adds volume and shine to your hair.
Thus, people usually opt for organic colors because they do not damage hair. In fact, most natural coloring agents such as lemon juice, beet juice, chamomile, sage, etc. benefit your hair.
On the downside, you need to be patient while using these organic recipes as they tend to take at least a few weeks before for showing any noticeable results.
So, you will have to rinse your hair almost daily with these solutions. Make sure you dampen your tresses before using these rinses.
Organic Homemade Hair Colors
- • To get black, purplish black, or blue-black color on your hair, use a combination of indigo and henna. For this, mix indigo soak in water and keep it aside for about six to eight hours. Apply henna paste on your hair and wash it with this solution a couple of times.
Simply applying henna on hair gives a red color tone. In case you want a brown color then add walnut shell powder in henna. Avoid using henna if you have light colored hair as may give rise to an unnatural color over time.
Watch this video showing how to make and apply henna paste on hair.
- • Rinsing your hair two to three times with strong black tea or coffee for about 15 minutes is highly beneficial for enhancing the color of dark or brunette hair. Follow this procedure daily for a few weeks. You can also add a little apple cider vinegar in this recipe to set the color.
- • Blondes can use a solution of a gallon of warm water mixed with a tablespoon of lemon juice. To maintain rich blonde color, pour the recipe on your hair and leave it for about one hour.
It is suggested to sit in the sun while the solution is soaking in your hair to make the color lighter. Rhubarb root and chamomile tea, too, are considered good for blonde hair.
- • To lighten your hair color with a chamomile rinse, steep dried chamomile flowers or eight chamomile tea bags in a cup of boiling water for 15 minutes. Next, add a quarter teaspoon of lavender essential oil and a cup of plain yogurt in it. Finally, apply this mixture on dry hair, cover with a shower cap, and rinse it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water after half an hour.
- • Another easy way to brighten the color of blonde hair is to steep two teaspoons of chamomile in a cup of hot water for 30 minutes, cool and strain the liquid, and mix it in a bottle of baby shampoo or some other gentle shampoo.
- • Massaging a mixture of eight ounces of plain yogurt and four tablespoons of cinnamon for at least half an hour can help in natural hair lightening.
- • Saturating your hair with beer for about an hour while soaking in the sun can assist in getting a lighter hair color. Use cold water to rinse out the beer afterwards.
- • Honey is also considered useful for lightening hair color. For this, you need to blend one and a half cup of yogurt and three-fourth cup of organic honey and apply the resultant mixture on wet hair. Wash it off with a mild shampoo after eight hours.
- • To enhance red hair color, leave half a cup of beet juice mixed with the same amount of carrot juice in your hair for an hour. Preferably, sit in the sun for a while and then wash it off.
You may also consider using strong rosehip or hibiscus tea for red hair. When using rosehip tea, prepare a solution of one cup of this herb in two cups of water. If you have hibiscus tea bags then boil three of these tea bags in two cup of water until it reduces to just half a cup.
- • Dark-hair beauties can cover their grays by steeping a quarter cup of dried rosemary and half a cup of dried sage in two cups of boiling water.
- • Another homemade recipe to darken hair naturally involves the application of a solution prepared by boiling one-third cup of walnut shells and three black tea bags in two and a half cups of water.