The soothing aroma of sandalwood benefits the mind by helping it relax. Moreover, this herb has a cooling effect. It is beneficial in curing a number of issues like prickly heat, pimples, leucoderma, abdominal pain, headache, fever, and genitorurinary infections.
Sandalwood or Chandan is considered sacred and holy as per Hindu mythology. Thus, it is used in several religious ceremonies.
The herb has a sweet, woodsy smell. Usually, sandalwood heartwood and essential oil are used for medicinal purposes.
Scientific Name: Santalum Album L.
Other Names: White sandalwood, Yellow Sandalwood, East Indian Sandalwood, White Saunders, Santal, Tan Xiang, Sandanam, Srigandapuma, Sukhad, Sandal Safaid
Sandalwood (Chandan) is native to India. It is primarily grown in India, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, China, Philippines and Australia. This herb belongs to the Santalaceae family.
Sandalwood has anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti phlogistic, antiseptic, anti-microbial, antipyretic, hypotensive, carminative, emollient, demulcent, cicatrisant, sedative, antidepressant, aphrodisiac, and diuretic properties. It also inhibits herpes simplex virus.
Sandalwood (Chandan) also aids in digestion and cures heartburn, nausea, indigestion, upset stomach and gas. Plus, it is helpful in the natural treatment of Cystitis, Haematuria, Gonorrhea, and symptoms like pain and burning sensation during urination. Moreover, this herb stimulates libido or sexual desire.
In addition, sandalwood has expectorant qualities effecting in relieving respiratory tract infections. It helps in dealing with chronic bronchitis, laryngitis, cough, cold and flu. Besides, this herb balances sebum production and hence used as a natural home remedy for skin care.
Benefits of sandalwood or Chandan can be derived from sandalwood essential oil as well. It can either be applied externally or taken internally. When using this oil on skin, dilute it by mixing carrier oil.
Sandalwood oil blends well with essential oils of lavender, rose, geranuim, cedarwood, bergamot, ylang-ylang, basil, myrrh, etc.
This essential oil also helps manage the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Unfortunately, this aromatic herb is under the threat of extinction.
Medicinal Uses of Sandalwood (Chandan)
- • Sandalwood home remedies for beauty care involve the application of a paste prepared from half teaspoon each of sandalwood powder and turmeric, water (enough to form a paste).
- • When dealing with pimples, boils, or psoriasis, boil three cups of water mixed with a teaspoon of sandalwood powder. When the liquid reduces to half, mix some rose water and sugar in it. Drink this solution three times in a day.
- • Sandalwood benefits in getting rid of greasy skin when it is mixed with equal amounts of fuller’s earth and rose water. Leave the mask on face for about half an hour and then wash it off.
- • Applying a combination of sandalwood powder and rose water serves as an easy natural cure for excessive sweating. This sandalwood remedy lightens skin color as well. Mixture of sandalwood, water, lemon, yogurt and rose water helps reduce blemishes.
- • Mix some plain water or rose water in sandalwood powder to for a paste. Take one teaspoon of this mixture and add a teaspoon of camphor (Kapoor) in it. Smear this paste on the affected areas to cure eczema.
- • Applying sandal paste mixed with crushed holy basil leaves (Tulsi) relieves headache. Dilute sandalwood oil applied on forehead can cure headaches caused by heat.
- • Add a tablespoon of rose water in three tablespoons of sandalwood powder. Apply this mixture on skin to reduce prickly heat problem.
- • Application of sandalwood paste mixed with a teaspoon of lime juice relieves skin irritation and allergy.
Regularly using a combination of four tablespoons of sandalwood oil, twp tablespoons of almond oil and five tablespoons of coconut oil on skin heals sunburn over a period of time. It also softens the skin.
- • A mixture of red sandalwood powder, rose water and glycerin works as an efficient home remedy for reducing wrinkles. Apply this mixture for about 20 minutes daily.
- • Uneasiness caused by high blood pressure can be reduced by taking a combination of one teaspoon each of sandalwood powder, coriander leaves and Emblic Myrobalan (Amla), all soaked in a cup of water overnight. Strain and consume the solution for a few days.
- • Daily consuming a cup of water mixed with half a teaspoon of sandalwood powder is useful in reducing pain in heart. Follow this treatment three times in a day.
- • Psychotropic benefits of sandalwood can be derived through aromatherapy. Inhaling a cloth soaked in a combination of 15 drops sandalwood oil, 10 drops chamomile oil and 5 drops lemon oil induces sleep.
Besides, you can add six drops of sandalwood oil, chamomile oil and lavender oil in warm bath water and soak in it.
- • Having a cup of milk mixed with half a teaspoon of sandalwood powder helps in the natural treatment of urinary tract infection. Follow this therapy two times in a day.
- • When dealing with cystisis, add five drops of sandalwood oil and a pinch of Bishop’s weed (Ajwain) in a cup of milk and consume the mixture.
- • In case there is blood in urine, soak a teaspoon of sandal wood powder in a glass of water, leave it overnight and drink in the morning.
- • Prepare a solution by adding one part of sandalwood oil in ten parts of water. Spray this liquid on feet and socks to get rid of food odor. You can also use this solution for cleaning wounds.
- • Put six drops of sandalwood oil in a bowl of water and soak a piece of cloth in it. Place this cloth on throat for 15 minutes to heal bronchitis, cough, and throat discomfort.
- • Add a few drops of sandalwood oil in a bowl of warm water and spray this solution on hair. When dealing with smelly hair, spray this solution on your hair as a natural hair perfume or use it as a final rinse after washing your lustrous locks.
- • Boil a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon each of sandalwood and Emblic Myrobalan (Amla) powder. Strain and drink this home medicine as a natural remedy for diabetes.
- • Add some honey and five pinches of sandalwood powder in a cup of water. Drink this liquid to cure dysentery.
- • Application of sandalwood paste on forehead helps reduce fever.
Apart from these therapeutic uses, sandalwood is used in various soaps, perfumes, deodorants, incenses, and mouth fresheners. It is believed that this herb promotes positive thoughts and aids in meditation.
Individuals suffering from severe kidney or liver disease should avoid taking this herb, internally as well as externally. In addition, pregnant and nursing women should consult with a qualified doctor before using sandalwood.
Although the essential oil of sandalwood benefits the skin, application of undiluted sandalwood oil can cause irritation. The herb may give rise to contact dermatitis in certain individuals.