Tea tree oil is widely used when dealing with acne, eczema, psoriasis, boils, warts, athlete’s foot, toenail fungus, minor wounds, dandruff, lice infestation, and so on. It facilitates the process of healing and prevents further infection.
Moreover, as this therapeutic oil has antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidant properties, it is commonly included in ointments, creams, soaps, lotions, shampoos, and other cosmetic products.
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil, is an essential oil derived from the steam distillation of leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia plant. This plant is native to Australia.
When using tea tree oil, it is suggested to dilute it in base oil like olive oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil to avoid the chances of skin irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin.
Beauty Care Recipes with Tea Tree Oil
- • Applying a combination of aloe vera gel and tea tree oil can help heal acne. To begin with, you may add a teaspoon of the oil in aloe vera and then increase its concentration if it suits your skin.
- • Simply rubbing a tablespoon of honey mixed with three drops of tea tree essential oil, too, is useful for getting rid of acne naturally. Leave this mask on your face for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- • Another home remedy to control acne is to take a steam facial. For this, you need to add three drops each of tea tree oil and lemon essential oil in a pot of boiling water and expose your face to the steam of this solution for about five minutes. You may follow this treatment on a weekly basis.
- • To soothe and heal sunburn, you can apply a quarter cup of aloe vera gel mixed with six drops of tea tree oil. In case you do not have aloe vera, use coconut oil, almond oil, or some other carrier oil.
- • Those with oily skin can apply a face pack prepared by adding two drops of tea tree oil and sufficient water in green clay to form a paste. Finally, wash it off after half an hour. To make this paste fragrant and refreshing, replace water with peppermint tea or infusion.
Here’s a video showing how to make a facial mask using tea tree oil, baking soda, and lemon juice to cure acne.
- • Another homemade beauty recipe involves making a paste of one tablespoon each of plain yogurt, organic honey, fresh lemon juice, two drops of tea tree oil and a teaspoon of corn flour.
- • Prepare a body scrub by mixing two tablespoons of grape seed oil, one and half a cup of plain yogurt, and five drops of tea tree oil in a cup of granulated sugar or oatmeal.
- • Soaking in warm bath water mixed with about six drops of tea tree essential oil can be highly beneficial as it works as an antiseptic. When suffering from eczema and psoriasis, you may add ten drops of this oil and a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil in the bath water.
- • Tea tree oil can also be used as a mouthwash to reduce gum inflammation and bad breath. So, you can rinse your mouth with a cup of warm water mixed with three drops of tea tree oil. Make sure you do not swallow it, though.
- • You can add one teaspoon of pure tea tree oil in 100 ml of your regular shampoo and then use it to get rid of problems like dandruff and itchy scalp.
If you do not want to add the oil in your shampoo, consider oiling your hair before shampooing with an ounce of grape seed oil mixed with six drops of tea tree oil and five drops of lemon oil.
Apart from these skin and beauty benefits, tea tree oil is also considered good for health as it strengthens the immune system.
In addition, it can fight infectious diseases such as chicken pox, herpes, scabies, measles, flu, yeast infection, oral thrush, etc.
Leave a Reply