Turmeric benefits in healing skin infections, burns, wounds, dental problems, common cold, cough, stomach ailments, anemia, arthritis, jaundice, and several other diseases and disorders.
Moreover this fragrant spice is also used for culinary purposes. It is often used in place of saffron because it provides a similar yellow color and musty flavor as saffron. Turmeric is a rhizome (comes in root form) with an earthy aroma and slightly bitter taste.
Scientific Name: Curcuma Longa. L
Other Names: Haldi, Haladi, Haridra, Haldhar, Pitras, Halede, Manjal, yu jin (Chinese), Khamin (Thai), Curcuma (French)
This therapeutic spice is native to South Eastern Asia. India is the largest producer of this herb in the world. Apart from India, it is cultivated in China, Taiwan, Pakistan, Peru, Thailand, and Central and Latin American countries. It is a member of the ginger family Zingiberaceae.
Turmeric has antiseptic, antiviral, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, stimulative, anti-spasmodic, antifibrotic, expectorant, blood purifying, and disinfectant properties.
The herb inhibits cell damage and hence reduces the risk of cancer. The brilliant yellow color of turmeric comes from an active ingredient curcumin. It works as a powerful antioxidant.
Because of its anti-inflammatory quality, turmeric benefits in the natural treatment of oseoarthritis and rheumatism. In addition, it is believed that this spice can lower cholesterol and control type-2 diabetes, to some extent.
Plus, it can aid in weight loss. A scientific study held in 2009 showed that turmeric’s active ingredient curcumin, when combined with vitamin D can protect against Alzheimer’s disease. Furthermore, this medicinal herb promotes immune function, expels intestinal worms and cures certain eye disorders.
Here’s a video explaining about the antioxidant qualities of turmeric.
Medicinal Uses of Turmeric
- • Having a cup of warm milk mixed with a pinch of turmeric powder is one of the simplest turmeric home remedies for cough and cold natural treatment. You can also add a teaspoon of honey.
- • Taking a combination of one teaspoon turmeric powder and an ounce of honey three times in a day to treat Eosinophilia. Follow this therapy regularly for three months.
- • Add a pinch of salt and turmeric powder in a pint of water and rinse your mouthy with this solution to cure bad breath naturally. Besides, you can massage the gums gently with a mixture of salt and turmeric to heal the problem of bleeding gums.
- • Mix some turmeric in a glass of water and boil the solution. Gargle with this liquid to get rid of blisters in mouth.
- • Boil one teaspoon of turmeric in a cup of milk. Take this solution three times in a day (i.e. three cups) to treat indigestion. It also promotes cardiovascular health.
- • Regularly consuming a combination of one teaspoon each of honey and raw turmeric juice in the morning gives encouraging results in improving anemia. It helps reduce water retention and removes toxins as well.
- • Benefits of turmeric in the treatment of Jaundice can be derived by having a glass of warm water mixed with a quarter teaspoon of turmeric in it. Drink this natural medicine daily, about two to three times in a day.
- • Having a glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder is useful in relieving diarrhea. You can also add the spice in herbal tea, buttermilk or yogurt.
- • Regularly consuming a glass of lukewarm water mixed with turmeric and salt in the morning provides relief from gas and flatulence. Besides, you can take a teaspoon of raw turmeric along with a meal. This also facilitates weight loss.
- • Take one teaspoon of aloe vera gel and the same quantity of turmeric. Apply this mixture on skin to heal burns.
- • Applying a combination of aloe vera juice, holy basil juice and a pinch of turmeric on the scalp for about 15 minutes reduces dandruff.
- • Crush some Indian lilac (neem) leaves, add turmeric powder and smear this paste on skin to control itching and skin infection.
- • Applying a mixture of lime juice and turmeric reduces the effect of insect bites.
- • When dealing with conjunctivitis, soak a cotton ball in lukewarm turmeric water and place it on your eyes. Follow this procedure several times in a day.
- • When dealing with internal bleeding, boil a cup of milk, add half a teaspoon of turmeric and a pinch of saffron and drink the solution.
- • Turmeric benefits in getting rid of swelling and inflammation by applying a paste of warm mustard oil and turmeric powder on the affected area.
- • Massaging with turmeric oil relieves pain. You can also add a teaspoon of turmeric in two teaspoons of ginger paste and apply on the affected area to reduce external pain.
- • Heat a cup of flax seed oil, fry a small, chopped onion in it and remove the onion when they turn brown. Next, add two tablespoons of turmeric powder in the oil and let it cool.
Apply this solution on a wound three times in a day to reduce skin infection and promote healing. For internal injuries like sprains, spread the oil on skin, cover and leave it on the injured area overnight.
- • Combine half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and an equal amount of sandalwood powder. Mix a teaspoon of normal or rose water in it. Apply this paste on skin to get rid of acne and pimples. It also makes your face glow.
- • Prepare a face mask by adding one tablespoon each of turmeric and ground almonds (after removing skin) in a two tablespoon of buttermilk. Finally, scrub your skin with the mixture. This is an effective skin care home remedy to get rid of blotchy skin.
- • Mix half teaspoon each of turmeric and ginger powder, and add enough water to form a paste. Apply this paste on skin to heal boils.
- • The anti-parasitic benefits of turmeric can be derived by consuming a mixture of one teaspoon of raw turmeric juice and a pinch of salt. Take this solution early in the morning before having breakfast to remove intestinal worms over a period of time.
- • One of the best turmeric home medicines for asthma and bronchitis is consuming 30 ml of aloe vera juice mixed with a pinch of turmeric. Take the mixture along with some lukewarm water. Follow this therapy daily in the morning on an empty stomach for about 10-30 days.
- • Boil a glass of milk mixed with one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of pepper powder. Consume this solution at night before going to sleep to cure bronchitis.
Watch this video giving information on certain other turmeric health benefits.
Turmeric is used as a natural skin dye as per Asian cultures. It is considered auspicious in India and thus used in various ceremonies.
In terms of culinary preparations, turmeric is known to be the main spice in curry. Moreover, this peppery herb can be used to get rid of ants.
Application of turmeric on skin can result in a temporary yellowish tinge on the skin. The simplest tip for getting rid of this stain is to take a cotton ball soaked in milk and rub it on the skin.
Besides, it can worsen gallbladder problems. Medicinal turmeric preparations are not recommended during pregnancy. Same is the case with children below two years of age.
Plus, the herb can interfere with blood thinning medications. Thus, turmeric benefits the health when taken in moderation, that is, about 2 to 9 grams per day, depending on your condition.
It is believed that taking a 500 mg capsule up to three times in a day should not cause adverse effects. Prolonged and high dosages, however, are discouraged.