What Are The Causes of Teenage Pregnancy?

Teenage pregnancy has become a growing concern nowadays and hence it has become imperative to look into the various causes of teenage pregnancy in order to deal with this issue carefully. Teenage pregnancies are widely discouraged because the of health risks they raise for the young mothers and their babies.

This problem is more prevalent in developed countries, particularly USA. As the name itself indicates, teenage pregnancy refers to pregnancy in young girls, mostly aged 13 to 17 years. Pregnancy at such a tender age is primarily due to lack of sex education.

Lack of awareness about the causes and effects of teenage pregnancy is more often than not, a result of lack of proper communication between teenagers and their parents. Therefore, it is the duty of the parents to impart adequate sex education and education regarding reproductive health to their adolescent sons and daughters so that their children become aware of the various aspects related teenage sex and pregnancy.

Schools and society also need to emphasize the risk factors associated with unprotected sex as well as the outcomes of unplanned teenage pregnancy, not to mention the significance of moral and ethical values.

Reasons of Teenage Pregnancy

Lack of sex education is the most important but not the only cause of teenage pregnancy. Following are some other teenage pregnancy causes that can not be ignored.

• Psychological factors: The immature and irresponsible behavior arising due to complex teenage psychology is another important cause of teenage pregnancies. Teenagers often go through a number of emotions because of their own transition from childhood and peer pressure.

In addition, weak family relationships fail to provide the emotional support that teenagers require. This lack of attention and affection from family resulting in depression forces them to seek love and support from other people, especially members of the opposite sex.

• Adolescent sexual behavior: As adolescence marks the onset of sexual maturity, it is but obvious that both the sexes show interest in and explore the much hyped topics of sex, thank to the irresponsible and careless approach of mass media.

This makes them vulnerable to teenage sex and pregnancy without adequate sex education. Lack of sexual education causes teens to get abortions as they ultimately realize their inability to bear the responsibilities of being a parent at such a young age.

• Lack of discipline and control: Factors like alcohol and substance abuse accompanied by unrestricted interaction with the opposite sex can ignite the sparks of lust and passion in youngsters very easily ultimately leading to teenage pregnancy.

Nonetheless, at times, parents put too many restrictions of their children, especially girls to protect them from dangers. This overprotection gives rise to frustration and a feeling of not being loved and cared for. Thus, balance is the key to avoid this problem.

• Socio-economic factors: Childhood environment, lower educational and income levels have also been associated with high rates of teenage pregnancy because of negligence towards birth control methods.

• Sexual abuse of teenage girls is also one of the most disgraceful causes of teenage pregnancy. Sexual relationships between teenage girls and older men are more likely to end up in teenage pregnancy as compared to sexual relationships between teenage boys and girls.

Outcomes

Teenage pregnancies also create a host of other problems like incomplete education, unemployment, poverty, social embarrassment and numerous other emotional traumas. Further, early motherhood also affects the psychological development of the child adversely.

Besides, bodies of teenage girls are not as developed as those of adult women in terms of childbearing, therefore, they are likely to face certain complications as well. Moreover, the chances of maternal death can not be ruled out.

Therefore, analyzing the various causes of teenage pregnancy can help a great deal in addressing this issue effectively and eventually reducing the cases of teenage pregnancies.

Comments

1. i think that teens who get pregnant need to go back to school and stop bullshiting thank you very much bye!!!!!!!

2. i think that young teenagers should wait,,take their time, sex doesn’t go no where,,it is there for life…think twice ’cause H.I.V AND A.I.D.S ARE REAL.

3. I think teenagers should be given sex education, that will help enormously in protecting the teens from immature pregnancy.

• ok i agree but sum of dem dont listen to the teaching da think ppl are talkin shit an dem will kno better but wen da do de ppl thing call sex an get pregant de boi want to leave de birden on de girl an her perants no dats wrong

4. Ife Adeniyi says

I think sex can wait for other things that can’t wait

5. adam thomas, stroud rd, gloucester says

my gf is pregnant, she is going to father my babies, it will hurt her at birth because she is so tight

6. dave sadler, 1 tern close, abbeydale gloucester says

my moobs are so sore from all the bitty my boyfriend has been recieving off of them, but he says it tastes good so thats ok

7. Aboagye Kofi says

i think teenage pregnancy is also comes as result of curiosity, because adolescence hear much so they would to test and hence result pregnancy.

8. Temidire Coker says

The writer of this article has done a great work in demisifying the unknow to his generation.

• The vast majority of women do not have high oenugh hormone levels by 6 days before their periods in order to turn up on any home pregnancy test, even with the early tests. Wait until your period is due, or at the very least a couple of days before your period is due however if you get a negative result you cannot count on that being accurate. Some women will take being late for their periods by 1-2 weeks before they can get an accurate home pregnancy test result. If you can’t wait that long, then make an appointment to get a blood test if your period doesn’t show up on time. When do you get pregnant? Generally women tend to ovulate 14 days before the start of their next period, and are fertile for about 3 days before until 1 day after the day they ovulate. That means you had sex pretty much the perfect time to try to conceive. Good luck! Was this answer helpful?

9. i agree

10. I’m a teen mom and I’m offended by most of these comments, because I didn’t plan to get pregnant.. My contraception didn’t work :@

• Teenage pregnancy is one of the most disgracez.bt ke therez nothing that can be done to solve this.girlz plz condomise or use contraceptions.

• i think that i can understand u my best friend has gone through the same thing(her contraception didnt work) but she has work it out with her bf and is continuing her studies n they will marry soon so i think that teenage moms can achieve wat they want

• i totally agree sarah because i have a two year old and im only 16 and a junior in high school.. i still go to school and have a life… im happy with my baby girl even though she wasnt planned. i wish ppl would realize that just because you have a baby at a young age does not mean our lives are going to go down and were goin to become a drop out teen mom with nothing to do with our babies..

11. Carlichia says

I think parents should control their children, because uncontrolled teenagers go out to clubs and drink them drunk and men take advantage of the fact that they are drunk and abuse them sexually.

• Markjoseph says

I have been pregnant twice and I have ylawas been sexually active start to finish with both my pregnancies..and had no problems what so ever. I honestly don’t think you have anything to worry about. Hope this helped.

12. christiana says

I think biology as a subject can also help in combating teenage pregnancy, as teens are being exposed to sex they should also b thaught the effects,risks and protection.

13. LUSIANA T says

I THINK SEX IS……….. BUT U AVE TO WAIT 4 DA RIGHT TIME.

14. koukoyi Divine says

I thing that youngster pregnancy now a day in our society make many trouble amount the families and incruse the population which put others troubles in our society.Our government must created a campaign of sansibilisation about the fact.

15. ammialiquor says

sex do nt cross human right 4 god said 2 da 1st sinners go ye and multiply so why nt try it if dat was ur happiness…………………………….bt dnt regret wen da outcomes appear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. nowdays teens are uncontrollable. Parents, teachers, the society and everyone should take the initiative to help fight against teenage pregnancy and educate teens about safe sex

17. Sex is good bt we hve 2 use condom so we cn be safe nt 2 hv a bby

• Udubrai emamuzo deborah says

Its a popular statement dat u cant eat ur cake and ave it,pls let us educate teenagers on d effects of premarital sex and stop encouraging dem to use condom.total abstinence should b encouraged

• I agreed wit u Andile , sex is good but not for teenager like us , we need to focus for tomorrow as teenagers. and try to forget abt sex now .

18. parent shld nt embarrass their girl child

19. i tink girls should wait cause God’s time is the best avoid sex it’s not gud you will live to regret it when you get pregnant will bring shame to the family

20. u will regret when you get pregnant cause you will drop out from school and be taking care of the baby

21. u Will drop out of school and be taking care of Ur baby

22. PARENTS shld NOT put 2 many RESTRICTION 2 their CHILDREN especially for girls……lolz

23. i think zat this is not due to the fault of the mother as they didnt expect to have baby and having sex is just their curiosity n nowadays during puberty feeling sexually attracted to someone is normal though teenage moms should not give up their education n dreams becuz of that . keep fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. nikiahenderson says

I THINK PREGNANCY IS STUPID

25. itz ol happen coz of d teen’s luv which grows to such an extent dat increases deir lust power in which dey lose deir senses n further leads to teen galz pregnancy widout ne precaution……………..

26. Zhane Burrell says

teenage pregnancy…..big step wen ur pregnant,especially if ur in skl and u want to fulfill ur dreams..DNT MEK NO BWOY TELL UNU NTN…..best thing to do is abstain from sex……no contraceptive is 100% effective……….ABSTINENCE MEK SENSE

27. Teenage pregnancy can not be stopped unless teenageres are educated. Firstly I believe taht moral values should be taught at home. There is a time for everthing and I believe that there is also a time for sex and believe me when I say that being a teenager you should enjoy everything that is to be enjoyed. There is a lot to life then sex. Remember in every choices taht you make God loves you no matter what and He is always there waiting for you so if you want to talk about anything at all He is waiting and unlike all fathers God never fails to answer us. No matter the situations He is there for us 24-7.

• not to exaggerate your command when you said “god is always there for you and he is waiting for you”. you are right about god loving you. but he don’t wait for you. you wait for him.

28. I think it is stupid.

29. i was a teen mom bt i lost my baby i totally agree tht u shud abstain cz it was hard to get back in skl am happy nw tho…my babydaddy n i r still 2gether

30. i think that instead of being tought not having sex to wait for mariage that teens should be touhgt about protection. because us teens are goin to go out and do it any ways and some are not goin to know about protection and might catch something or get pregnant… i wish i would have known about the pill because now i have two year old baby girl and im only 16 a junior in high school. stop teaching us about waiting, teach us to be safe!! im on the pill now even though its a little late.

31. I think if you are not married you should not be engaged in sex at all

32. Dear teenage guyz & girlz , stay busy with ur studies .. every thing has it’s own time , so it’s the time to get awake and brighten the future .. U’ll reach sex too but let the time arrive .. so frndz think twice & act wice becouse regreting on that time doesn’t work !! God bless U all ..

33. I’m just annoyed by the fact that for one, some of these comments have nothing to do with this topic.. and two, how people are always saying wait wait wait. I sure hope you all have waited and all. And teenagers aren’t uncontrollable unless you allow them to be. Train a child as they should go. They’re “uncontrollable”? Sounds like your problem to deal with..

34. aHh OKAY !

35. I was a teen mom, and it resulted in my mom getting custody of my daughter until recently. At 15, a child is not ready to take care of another child, they are too set in a selfish mindframe, and should really wait until they are capable (without help from parents or government) to take care of a child.

36. I am kinda of tired of people saying to be totally abstinent. I understand that it is the best answer to not getting pregnant but the minute teens hear that word it just makes them want to do it more. Teens just need to be taught, I started at 15 and I have not once gotten pregnant or and kind of std. Talk to your kids and be open and honest and they will make better decisions for themselves.

37. Nadia Farrukh says

I think it is stupid.

38. Must of the time our father blame us for getting pregnant but the question i will ask the parent is these.Have ever sit down with your children and try to see what ur children are lack or even educate them after school because they said Charity Begining at Home.

39. oh my god why would a 16 year old get pregnant in this age, cant you wait until you are married or even older. unbelievable!…

40. Use the A,B,C Which means A-abstenance
    .B-BE faithful and
    C-Use of condom.but 4 a teenage A is 100/100 best.

41. Salwa... before you think about having sex at the same time think about the consequences!!! says

hi! i have a boyfriend actually he is my lover and he is 20 and i am 17 but we never thought about having sex or even thinking about it. Any boy who wants to have sex with their girlfriend means that he deosn’t love you he just wants to have fun thats all.

42. wendy paul says

i think teenager should wait until the right time then have sex and think of the outcome of having sex

• Much of that depends on weethhr you decide to breastfeed. If you do, you can’t use the pill until you stop. If you don’t, your doctor will prescribe the pill for you at your 6 week checkup. Make sure you get a sample pack from him/her so you can start taking it once you get your period. You of course have many options when it comes to birth control besides the pill, but the pill is a good one. Good luck to you and your baby!

43. no one would know what will happen only god

44. i think teenagers are getting wild nowadays. parents should supervise their sons/daughters. by the way im just 19. kamusta kayo jan mga pinoy?

45. melville udunze says

some times teens watch their parents do this, their older friends and siblings so tend to do the same. so let them know the dangers that may follow.

46. aime rajkumar says

thats true. rite now i’m learning from my mistake
    i never got pregnant but havin sex at this early age could jus ruin you if u had all your trust in somebody and they jus used you to get over someone. take my stupid advice please dont have sex at your teenage yearswait till your married and sure about that person
    i’m only 16 years of age and i’m hurtin

47. FESTUS OWUSU says

I THINK TEENAGE PREGNANCY IS BECOMING A BURDEN NOWADAYS AND I THINK QUICK MEASURES SHOULD BE TAKEN TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

48. OSEI KWAME says

I THINK TEENAGE PREGNANCY IS BECOMING A PROBLEM SINCE IT IS TAKING PRECIOUS LIFE OF TEENAGE GIRL NOWADAYS.

49. Quincy Jones says

Being that im a father of 3 teenage girls of my own i found this publication to be quite informal to establishing the causes and effects the strongest cause i found suitable is lack of education on the cause and effects of sex education besides just the fundamentals of reproductive organs in what “i” learned in school. secondly is the lack of communication in teens and parents being that sex is a tough issue for parents to discuss with there children (hands on experience) teens arent going to be comfortable discussing there desires with parents in reference to someone their comfortable with. i don’t know just my opinion food for thought though… 🙂

• Quincy Jones says

which i can say i experienced as having kids at a early age knowing the tribes and tribulations me and there mothers went thew

50. young money says