White coated tongue is a common sign of fungal infection known as Oral Thrush. As it is mostly caused by overgrowth of fungus called Candida, this condition is also referred to as Candidiasis of the mouth and throat.
The presence of white patches on the surface of the tongue and bad breath are the most common white coated tongue symptoms. The coating can also be yellow or brown in color. In severe cases, coated tounge may appear as though it is covered with fur or hair (Hairy Tongue).
Coated tongue causes no pain in most of the cases. The condition is more common in infants, people wearing dentures and individuals with weakened immune system.
What causes a white coated tongue?
White coating on tongue due to Oral Thrush is caused because of an increase in the growth of Candida Albicans, a form of fungus naturally present in various parts of the body. Under normal circumstances, certain good bacteria help to maintain a balance in the growth of these micro organisms.
But, when the normal population of these bacteria reduces, it leads to unchecked growth of Candida. This is usually caused because of weakened immune system which in turn, is often a result of taking certain medications (like antibiotics or steroids used for the treatment of sinusitis, asthma etc) or diseases affecting the normal functioning of the immune system.
Some other causes of coated white tongue are accumulation of keratin or dead skin cells on the surface of tongue, tobacco abuse, consumption of extremely hot foods or beverages etc. Abnormal buildup of keratin is generally caused by dehydration as it tends to dry out saliva, thereby making the tongue dry. It is for this reason that individuals tend to develop white tongue during Fever.
Besides, coating on the tongue or cheeks, in the form of raised white lines with a lace-like appearance can be a symptom of Oral Lichen Planus. This chronic inflammatory disease is an autoimmune disorder. This sort of white coated tongue with bumps can also be painful.
How to get rid of a white tongue?
• If you are looking for ways as to how to get rid of white tongue caused by the intake antibiotics or other medicines then you simply need to wait until the course of treatment finishes.
Most likely, the problem will resolve on its own within a week after that. If the condition persists longer than that then you ought to seek specific medical attention.
• Treatment for white tongue due to fungal infections usually requires for the use of antifungal treatments specifically recommended by doctors. Nystatin, Difluca, Fluconazole and other such medications are usually advised for eliminating fungal infection leading to white coating on tongue.
• Those of you who find the natural home remedies more appealing can make use of probiotics to get rid of this nasty problem. Consumption of yogurt serves as an excellent coated tongue cure in this regard.
The acidophilus bacteria found in yogurt are highly beneficial in restoring the microbial balance in the body. You can also take nutritional supplements containing acidophilus bacteria.
• Besides, bad breath due to white coated tongue and dry mouth can be relieved by using mouth washes. Although mouthwashes are generally available in the market still, you can also try some homemade mouthwashes.
For instance, you can prepare a mouthwash at home by boiling chopped parsley leaves and three cloves in a cup of water. Finally, cool and strain the mixture and use this solution as a natural mouthwash.
• Effective coated tongue treatment usually depends on the underlying cause, especially when it is caused because of medical conditions like Diabetes or Cancer.
Nonetheless, maintain proper oral hygiene and clean the tongue with the help of a tongue scraper regularly to remove the buildup of food debris, dead cells and bacteria in order to prevent as well as cure white coated tongue.
Moreover, apply a small amount of any oxygenating toothpaste (not containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) on the surface of the tongue, particularly on the back, for about one minute to one and a half minutes to reduce this problem considerably.
In case you have more tips on how to treat a white coated tongue then you can also share your valuable suggestions here.