What is Bloating?
Bloating is an uncomfortable feeling of fullness and tightness in the stomach that can be prevented and cured with the help of several Bloating home remedies. Most of the cases of Bloating are caused by gastrointestinal problems and intestinal gas.
Various lifestyle and dietary factors like a high fat diet, high salt diet or overeating can also contribute in causing this common ailment.
Factors like stress and hormonal changes may also trigger this bothersome problem. Generally, Bloating is not considered as a serious problem unless caused by serious diseases like colon cancer.
Causes and Symptoms of Bloating
Irritable Bowel Syndrome, GERD, Crohn’s disease, Diverticulosis and other similar gastrointestinal diseases are considered as the most common causes of persistent Bloating. Partial Bowel Obstruction, Food Allergy, Indigestion, Heartburn, Constipation, Lactose Intolerance, Fructose Intolerance and other food intolerances have also been associated with the problem of Gas and Bloating.
Besides, excessive consumption of certain foods like beans, cabbage, cauliflower, corn, broccoli, peach, pear, potato and other gas producing foods has also been associated with Bloating.
Plus, intake of carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages tends to irritate the gastrointestinal tract thereby giving rise to Bloating and Gas. Moreover, excessive accumulation of liquids in the abdominal cavity (Ascites) and the habit of swallowing air (Aerophagia) may also result in the same.
Bloating due to excess air swallowing can also be caused by chewing a chewing gum. Issues like pregnancy, menstruation, ovarian cysts and other related issues tend to cause Bloating in women.
Some common symptoms of Bloating are abdominal pain (especially after eating), abdominal distention, belching, flatulence and a general feeling of abdominal discomfort due to abdominal fullness and tightness.
Natural Home Remedies for Bloating
• Herbal teas like fennel tea, ginger tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea etc serve as excellent home remedies for Bloating and Gas.
• Simply chewing a peppermint leaf or a ginger root also work as effective Gas and Bloating home remedies. Celery seeds also serve as effective natural remedy for Bloating.
• Probiotics like yogurt and kefir are considered highly beneficial in the natural treatment of Bloating.
• Add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in a cup of water and boil the solution. Regularly have this solution in order to cure Bloating naturally. Honey can also be added in this mixture to improve the taste of this natural remdy.
• Clove oil and eucalyptus oil are also highly recommended natural home remedies for Bloating. Few drops of either of these therapeutic oils should be taken in a glass of water on a regular basis, preferably early in the morning.
• Prepare a mixture by adding five grams each of cardamom, asafetida, dried ginger powder and black salt. Regularly take about half a teaspoon of the resultant mixture in powdered form as a natural cure for Gas and Bloating.
• Having ginger slices soaked in lemon juice is a tried and tested means of home treatment for Bloating and Gas. Similarly, chewing asafetida seeds is also regarded as a successful home remedy for gastric ailments.
• Take some celery seeds and half its quantity of aniseeds. Having half a teaspoon of this mixture is one of the simplest and most effective natural home remedies for Bloating. Sugar can also be added in this mixture in order to improve the taste.
• Massaging the stomach with fennel oil helps to relieve bloating related abdominal pain.
• Yoga is regarded as a good natural home remedy for Bloating, Gas and other digestive problems.
Diet for Bloating
Proper diet plays an important role in preventing as well as treating Bloating, Gas and other related digestive problems. Therefore, when dealing with Bloating, try to go for a balanced and healthy diet with special emphasis on fibrous fruits and vegetables and at the same time avoiding excessive consumption of gassy foods.
Chew the food slowly and carefully. Further, try to have small meals at regular intervals instead of going for larger meals less frequently.
Adequate consumption of water plays an important role in proper digestion of food thereby avoiding the chances of Bloating. Plus, restrict the consumption of stimulants like tea, coffee, chocolate, alcohol etc. Besides, avoid foods sweetened with artificial sweeteners containing fructose and sorbitol.
Apart from these dietary measures, lifestyle changes like stress management and adequate physical exercise also help in reducing such problems to a great extent. Simple physical activities like walks after having meals aid in the process of digestion.
Leave a Reply