What is Ear infection?
Ear is an important and sensitive sense organ of the body. It can be divided into three parts, that is, external, middle and internal. An infection in the external ear is called Otitis Externa or Swimmer’s Ear, infection in the middle ear is called Otitis Media and that in the internal ear is known as Otitis Interna or Labyrinthitis. Out of these, Otitis Media, that is, infection of the middle ear is quite common in children.
Infections in the upper respiratory tract often lead to infection in the middle ear due to blockage of the Eustachian tube. These Ear infections are generally caused by bacteria or viruses. Like other infections, even Ear infections should be cured as soon as possible in order to avoid further complications. The conventional treatment generally involves the intake of antibiotic medicines.
But, antibiotics are considered harmful for the overall health. Moreover, some bacteria often develop resistance against the antibiotics and are hence difficult to eliminate. Alternatively, the natural home remedies for Ear infections are completely safe to follow and give encouraging results without any harmful side effects.
Causes of Ear infection
Otitis Externa is also called Swimmer’s Ear. As the name suggests, it is caused as a result of swimming in polluted water. It may also be caused by water trapped in the ear after having a shower. At times, using small objects in the ear (for cleaning it) may also result in this kind of infection of the ear. Surfer’s ear or an abnormal bone growth with the ear canal may also be held responsible for the same.
Unhealthy or wounded skin around the ear canal often aggravates the problem. Otitis Media is generally caused by colds, sinus infections, and allergies. In case of children, excess production of mucus and saliva during the teething process may also result in this infection. Operations for the removal of tonsils or adenoids tend to increase the risks. Apart from bacterial infections, infection in the inner ear is often attributed to Autoimmune Disorders. Ear injuries caused by pressure changes may also give rise to Ear infections.
Symptoms of Ear infection
The most common symptoms of Ear infections are pain in the ears, ringing, fullness in the ear, nausea, vomiting, discharge from the ear, hearing loss, slight fever and other similar symptoms. The pain may either be a sudden sharp pain or a constant dull pain. Infection in the middle ear is typically characterized by pus. In the same way, infection in the inner ear often causes vertigo. In most of the cases, the symptom of hearing loss is of less intensity and temporary in nature, unless the Ear infections occur quite frequently.
Natural Home Remedies for Ear infection
• The antibiotic properties of garlic juice serve as one of the most successful natural home remedies for Ear infections. Just put a few drops of garlic juice in the ears to heal Ear infection in a natural way.
• Extract some juice from basil leaves and put two drops of this juice in the affected ear to get rid of Ear infection.
• Putting a few drops of juice extracted from mango leaves is a highly beneficial home remedy used in the treatment of Ear infections.
• Similarly, a few drops of lobelia extract can also be used in the affected ear to cure ear infection.
• Putting one or two drops of hydrogen peroxide in the infected ear and then draining it out is one of the most effective home remedies for Ear infections.
• Simply putting 2 drops of lemon juice on the affected ear and then draining it serves as a good natural natural remedy to reduce ear infection of bacterial origin.
• Margosa oil is also valuable in Ear infection treatment. Putting one or two drops of this oil in the affected ear is regarded as a therapeutic natural home remdy used in the treatment for Ear infections.
• In case the infection is accompanied by pus, a few drops of warm onion juice can help cure the infection.
• Placing a warm cloth or heating pad near the affected ear is one of the simplest home remedies for Ear infection caused by trapped water.
• Mix some alcohol and vinegar in equal proportions and put this mixture in the affected ear. Drain the mixture after about 10 to 15 minutes. This is an effective home remdy for Ear infections.
• Putting two drops of warm olive oil in the affected ear is one of the most popular natural home remedies for Ear infection. To make the oil warm, place it on a heated teaspoon.
Diet for Ear infection
A strong immune system is one of the preliminary requirements in getting rid of any kind of infection. So, when dealing with Ear infection, it is important to boost the immune system to fight off the infection. For this, it is essential to include adequate amount of vitamin C in the diet. Vitamin C also helps to reduce inflammations.
Hence, the treatment for Ear infection should be sufficiently supported by the consumption of citrus fruits and fruit juices. Zinc and calcium rich foods are also beneficial in this regard.
In addition to this, it is recommended to avoid the consumption of milk and milk products as they tend to aggravate the problem and interfere with the process of healing. Also, avoid smoking cigarette as the smoke tends to block the Eustachian tube and leads to Ear infections.
Leave a Reply